- 1 medium head broccoli, steamed and shocked
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons roasted salted almonds ¼ cup firmly packed
- ¾ teaspoon refrigerated garlic paste (from tube)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 dashes of hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- ¼ cup firmly packed spinach
- ¼ cup firmly packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Chop the broccoli stems, reserving the florets. Process the stems in a food processor until finely chopped.
Add the Parmesan, almonds, garlic paste, salt, and hot sauce; process until combined.
Add the broccoli florets, spinach, basil, oil, and lemon juice; process until incorporated.
About this recipe
"Pesto is an awesome sauce, but it’s typically pricey to make because of the inclusion of pine nuts. My version uses the thriftier almond-and-broccoli combo for a stealthy health boost. If your kids don’t like broccoli, this is a great way to sneak it in!" -- Ryan Scott, author of One to Five: One Shortcut Recipe Transformed into Five Easy Dishes.
Related Stories & Recipes
A beautiful and savory marmalade, this is fantastic served hot, cold, or at room temperature. Recipe from Ryan Scott's cookbook, One to Five.